1. Mirren has started “dancing” and “singing”, which amounts to her turning in circles over and over and over again while babbling in a vaguely melodic way. Cute level: OFF THE CHARTS.
2. I wrote my first short story, maybe ever, but definitely since I’ve been a grownup. It’s not the best thing I’ve written, but I’m fiercely proud of it all the same, because it means I am being a writer, no quotes necessary.
3. Davey just rolled out of a deep weekend sleep, and the first words out of his mouth were, “Mom, can you teach me how to make food today? Like lunch and dinner? Because I want to make food for you.”
4. Love is: telling your husband you’re leaning over the counter into the mirror with tweezers because you have three little wicked witch hairs growing out of your chin (I am THIRTY-FIVE, face, what are you DOING.) Love is: him offering to do it for you. Love is: feeling free to tell him just exactly how unsexy that would be.
5. Molly will be 14 this summer, and Sam will be 13. I’m having to get up at 2 or 3 a.m. most nights now to let one or both of them out because they can’t wait til morning. It takes Molly so long to get down the stairs. Ugh, mortality, you’re an asshole.
6. Cleaned out my closet and all my drawers. Working on getting down to only 40 pieces. I’m only off by about 15-20 so I’ll be doing round two soon. It felt pretty fantastic seeing the to-go pile piling up higher and higher.
7. Survived an extra two days of Christmas break thanks to the coldest temperatures in a couple of decades. The south cannot handle -10 windchills, global warming, just FYI.
8. Finished a collection of Shirley Jackson short stories and was wildly inspired. Finished Burial Rites and was depressed for days. Started The Story of Eve and The Diviners by Libba Bray — pretty meh on it so far, but I’m hoping it picks up. Got Divergent, because apparently dystopian YA is my kryptonite.
9. After a week of a return to clean eating, last night I made snickerdoodle cupcakes with cinnamon buttercream frosting, and ate two. Verdict: sugar hates me so much but DAMN IT it’s delicious.
10. Mirren has new words: please (peas), move (moof!), elbow, and all food is “yummy yummies.” She also adds a random “s” to things — I am now constantly referred to as “mommies.”